Monday, February 18, 2013

Eenie Meenie Miney... China!

Nǐ hǎo from China!

 

Last I blogged, we had boarded the ship in Kobe, Japan. This time, instead of ten days between ports, we had only two days to collect our thoughts on Japan and prepare for China. Needless to say our time at sea went by in a flash, and we found ourselves at the port in Shanghai.

 

I was antsy to start collecting photos, so I took pictures out of my porthole window of the iconic Shanghai skyline, also known as the Pudong. Little did I know I'd collect a veritable fortune of pictures, ranging from midday to midnight, of that same exact scenery.

 

 

The debarkation process went much faster and more smoothly than that in Japan, so we were off the ship around 9 or 10 in the morning. I was so thankful, because I only had one day and night in Shanghai before I had to be on a flight to Beijing.

 

I had also learned, from my time spent in Japan, that it is much easier to move around in groups of less than 6 people. I hedged my bets and went with one this time around. So without any ado, whatsoever, my friend Wade and I set out to explore the city together.

 

Thankfully, Wade is equally as playful and easily distracted as I, which led to some fun experiences and silly pictures.

 

 

We decided to make a big loop around the main parts of the city on the side opposite of the Pudong. So, we walked south from the ship along the main drag of Shaghai, the Bund, and then made our way inland along East Nanjing Road. This street was lined with multi-level department stores and local restaurants. There was one establishment in particular that caught our eye because of the sheer volume of people coming and going with bags and bags full of… well… we couldn't really tell.

 

Clearly, we were intrigued.

 

Turns out, this 3 level behemoth was full of just one thing: FOOD!

We surveyed the scene and decided on what I can only hope every true Texas (and thus, meat-eater, naturally) will appreciate: FRESH BACON.

 

Let me tell you―you haven't experience bacon until you've eaten it at a place that also sells flattened pig faces (please see picture above for a face-finding adventure).

 

That was just our first teaser in Chinese cuisine, and we were very impressed.

 

We continued on our walk with the idea that we would swing by the three main museums at the end of East Nanjing in People's Square. I add this little detail so that my parents and teachers will note my attempt at cultural appreciation via museum―which isn't my usual style. I'm more of an immersion girl at heart, but hey, I like art too.

 

Interestingly enough, my favorite parts of the museums weren't their displays but rather their unique architecture. China really puts a premium on how things appear to the public (more to come on this seemingly vague statement later) so it really shouldn't have been surprising just how dynamic these buildings were.

 

 

Both the Shanghai Grand Theatre (above) and the Shanghai Art Museum (below) were certainly more than merely functional. They drew you closer in the hopes that you might want to explore what they had to offer.

 

It worked.

 

 

After an hour of jade sculptures and calligraphy scrolls, we were famished. But what are two 20-somethings to do for food in a foreign country with no guide, no smart phones, and no map. You guessed it…

 

Eenie… Meenie… Miney… THAT ONE!

 

And boy, did we score.

 

 

Now, I know that this little guy doesn't look like much. But let me throw some fun after-the-fact facts your way in the hopes that you can appreciate our choice.

 

Number 1: The place was PACKED with Chinese people (clearly a good hint).

Number 2:Our food was phenomenal. Like scrumptious phenomenal.

Number 3:The entire meal of 15 beef dumplings, 15 pork dumplings, and one giant plate of spicy chicken and peanuts cost us less than 9 USD―total.

 

WIN.

 

Refueled, reinspired, and entirely cost-recalibrated, we left in search of the Yuyuan Gardens―one of Shanghai's main tourist attractions. Wade's professor had hinted at a market on the way, but we were hardly prepared for what we stumbled on in the process.

 

This place was madness!

 

 

Because we were traveling through China just days before the Lunar New Year, everything was ornately decorated and people were frantically trying to prepare for their celebrations. I'll try to let the pictures do most of the talking for just a bit. Keep in mind―this marketplace is usually colorless.

 

 

 

 

 

Not too shabby, right?

 

Once we wound our way through the market, we entered the gardens. What struck me most about this place was the absolute opposition to the marketplace only yards away. In just moments we went from screaming vendors and massive crowds to silent observers and serene enclosures. The ornate architecture, beautiful foliage, and quiet coy ponds were so relaxing that we found ourselves just wandering and gazing.

 

 

 

After our time in the garden and a quick stop at another temple nearby, we were ready to engage in one of China's most infamous activities for tourists.

 

No, not happy endings. Get your mind out of the gutter!

 

Wade and I were ready to shop.

 

And that meant BARGAINING!

 

I had been warned by professors and family members as to the local customs and culture surrounding the purchasing of goods in China. As many of you may know, it's one of the best places in the world to score inexpensive designer knock-offs and souvenirs. It's also common knowledge that if you pay any more than half of a vendor's asking price, you're probably getting ripped off.

 

Standard bargaining practice goes something like this:

Vendor gives a price.

Customer gives a counter price.

If your price is reasonable, the vendor will continue to negotiate.

If not, you're on your merry way.

And frankly, you're ok with being on your way, because there are at least 10 more stalls with the exact same thing within your immediate periph. That is not an exaggeration.

 

The key here is the thing that most of us consumers are uncomfortable with: JUST WALK AWAY.

 

Vendors will literally chase you down the street to make a sale.

 

 

One purchase in and we realized who the superior bargainer was: Wade.

 

Yours truly got hosed.

 

Multiple times.

 

I'd like to defend myself with the fact that I had no barometer (except maybe our meal) and thus no way of knowing how much things should cost. But honestly, my first purchase was just embarrassing. I bought 2 stuffed snakes as gifts (Lunar New Year 2013 is the Year of the Snake) and paid 60 yuan. Given that I followed that purchase with an eight-piece tea set for the exact same price… I think I overpaid. Fail.

 

I was determined to redeem myself, but was constantly overshadowed by Wade's natural skill at this practice. The boy took to negotiation like a fish to water, and I was left watching in awe. My one moment of glory came when we decided to do something a little bit sketchy and out of character. Sorry, Mom. Just skip this part if you want.

 

Wade and I decided to engage one of the guys on the street claiming to sell designer goods on the cheap. We sprinted after him through crowded streets and snuck through a tiny door into a dingy residence building, finally arriving in a small room FILLED with name brand bags, scarves and watches, and three very nervous-looking Chinese people. I shopped while they spent the entire time checking the door and looking at their cell phones. Despite some obvious uncertainty, I emerged victorious with this little gem:

 

 

Isn't she pretty!?

 

Now, say what you will about her being fake. She probably is. But there's a teeny, tiny stitch in the back that's double-looped, so in my mind, she was a cast-off defect and is, in fact, a real Channel bag.

 

Just let me live my fantasy, ok?

 

Clearly then, a celebration was in order. We headed back to the ship and regrouped with a bunch of other students to hit the town. A bunch of us wandered along the Bund, headed over to the Pudong, made our way to a bar in Xintiandi, and found ourselves back on the ship at, you guessed it, a pretty late hour. But not without some more pictures of the skyline!

 

 

Such an amazing day in Shanghai! Food, culture, architecture, Channel… we got it all!

 

Next stop, Beijing! Catch you on the other side of my first flight of the trip!

 

Question of the Day: What purchase do you wish you could take back?

 

2 comments:

  1. Going to be a slow week in the office with schools on vacation. Need you to step up the effort on the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a side note, must have been an interesting experience bargaining for stuff. Now you know what it feels like to be on the buy side.

    No fires in the engine room, I hope? I hear that the Triumph had poop on the walls.

    ReplyDelete